And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence to the full assurance of hope until the end, that you do not become sluggish, but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises. Hebrews 6:11-12
God wouldn’t have made all the promises in the Bible if He didn’t want to give His children great blessings. Yet we cannot simply assume such benefits belong to us. So how can we claim God’s promises with the expectation He will take pleasure in answering our petition?
There are several questions we must ask in order to test the needs we bring before our heavenly Father:
- Does this promise meet my personal need or desire?
- When I request that God keep this promise, do I ask with the spirit of being submissive to His will?
- Does the Holy Spirit bear witness to my spirit that God is pleased with my petition?
- Will God be honored by fulfilling this promise?
- Does my request to claim this promise contradict God’s Word?
- If God fulfills this promise, will it further my spiritual growth?
Once we have satisfactorily answered these questions, inheriting God’s promises depends upon just three requirements. First, we need to have faith. Our Father wants us to trust Him, and He rewards those who do (Genesis 15:6; Hebrews 11:6). Second, we must be obedient to God’s will for us. We will never attain His best if we knowingly disobey. And third, we must be willing to wait for the Lord’s perfect timing. It is well worth our while, considering the blessings He longs to give us.
Father, give me faith to inherit Your promises. Give me strength to walk obediently in Your ways. Give me patience to wait for Your timing.